12 replies to this topic

Shikou

Shikou

Vampire

• *Content Creators
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • LocationArizona U.S.

I feel like we are at a point in gaming history were games dont look any different regardless on the system its on (including PC). DOA5LR (a last gen game) looks the same on last and current gen. Even current gen games dont really look any different than they do compared to how they would look on PS4, XBONE, or PC. The whole "X Console is better than Y Console" argument doesn't seem relevant anymore compared to last gen. The only difference today that would be visible is a console and handheld version in terms of frames per second and number of polygons and what can be seen on screen like draw distance. 

When it comes to exclusive current gen games Sony and Nintendo seem to be the best bet to get exclusives now days (both console and handheld) while for Microsoft you can get them off Steam or an a different system. I unfortunately have no reason to get any future systems from Microsoft because all games on the 360 or XBONE are already on ether a Sony system or on Steam. I currently am working on saving up for a better PC because mine is 8 to 9 years old and its time for an upgrade. It can barely run Final Fantasy VIII from Steam. There was one game in particular that stood out to me for XBONE which is We Happy Few but it came to my attention that it is also for PC so I have no reason to even go near a current gen XBOX.

4K gaming seems to be a trend now but honestly its not all that noticeable compared to the 1080p standard. When I see topics on Steam forums a lot of topics ask if a game supports 4K. Honestly though, all 4K settings really does is blow up a game's default resolution making images and textures blurred and possible pre rendered movies grainy. I've seen countless times people asking if a 2002 visual novel has 4K. Its pointless.

I cant speak for everyone but I think we can all agree that it all comes down to games over which is more powerful these days. Of course "PC Master Race" elitists will say something different but I feel like they are a lost cause anyway so there is no point to reason with them.

Thoughts? Opinions? Tell us!

Scorpious

Scorpious

~The Violent Violet Ninja~

• +Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,207 posts
  • LocationOn a rooftop looking at the moon
  • Twitch:scorpious17
  • XBL GT:Scorpious17
  • PSN ID :Scorpian-17
  • 3DS FC:1547-5203-5546
  • Wii U ID:Scorpian-17
I mean some are better than others but graphics evolve and they're evolving pretty fast and can only get better. It's something to expect now so it only matters when it doesn't meet with my expectations.

Kas12

Kas12

I desire no title.. for I am only a man.

• +Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts
  • LocationI am a pilgrim and stranger in a strange land, looking for a city whose builder and maker is God.

Well, games "look" about as good as they ever will.  The only way they're gonna end up looking any better is if these studios get art teams and stylize the graphic overtone instead of gunning for supreme generic realism in the visuals all the time.  We have hit a point where good and bad are not defined by how pretty something looks.. because if people are as choosy as I am, I haven't seen an actually ugly game on Wii U. But games are gonna start being defined by real gamers by the level of gameplay that is offered.  There is a clear separation between a game that offers running through places gunning down zombies, and a game that allows me to functionally do anything I want. There is more game to the latter.  

It's funny, because every game that has come out trying so hard to look supremely realistic, I've avoided. They usually have the least game to them. As for 4k gaming, I don't know how it works on PC, because I'm not a PC elitist.  But I'm getting a 4k TV that has some pretty good upscaling tech in it that doesn't just stretch the pixels. It multiplies them and then smooths them. So I'll be gaming in 4k here soon.  Speaking of that, it's interesting that MS flat out said that if you dont have a 4k TV, then dont get the Scorpio, because it's made primarily for 4k and wont do you any good if you don't have a 4k TV. But I'm not interested in anything on XBox. 

Scorpious

Scorpious

• +Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,207 posts
That Scorpio thing is just Phil Spencer trying to ensure that people can still keep buying Xbones and Xbone S. The Scorpio only being able to run on 4K TVs sounds like a load of shit. That's like saying if I wanted to buy a PS4 and use it on a 720p TV, and someone says that I can't because it's primarily for 1080p gaming. That's just a big lie. You'll still be able to use a Scorpio regardless of what kind of TV you have. Spencer's just trying to make sure the other consoles still sell and is giving folks that don't understand tech too well false information.

Driftslave

Driftslave

Mod

• +Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  • LocationRichmond, CA
  • PSN ID :Therook_jza80

I don't think they matter as much anymore. Technology has gotten to the point where phones are capable of some impressive visuals, let alone home consoles.

As Kas was alluding to in his post, Art Direction should be the main focus now in game development. Smash 4 on the Wii U, I believe like Melee before it, will still hold up, not just mechanically but visually as well. This is mostly due to the Art Direction keeping the characters timeless, they look as they should not as they could for the time period. 

This is pretty much the exact opposite of what the main AAA market is going for, hyper realistic models pushing close to a million polygons per model. Very demanding of the engine and hardware to run, which is the polar opposite of Smash 4 which for a good 90% of the time runs without incident and consistently as a well oiled machine. Game Optimization goes a long way but you can tell that Nintendo has a clear understanding on a fundamental level on how to get the most out a game with what they have to deal with.

I kinda wish more 3rd party developers would make less technical marvel games that push the limits of what the hardware can do and create more games that are visually interesting or just run very well that are fun and engaging games. This is kinda the reason why I enjoy my poverty anime games at times because at the end of the day...they are just "fun" with no strings attached. Indie developers understand this, I wish the rest of the industy would...like it was back in the PS1 and PS2 gen.

Shikou

Shikou

Vampire

• *Content Creators
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • LocationArizona U.S.

When I first made this topic I had the XBOX Scorpio and PS4K in mind and forgot to include them but my OP post does seem to express how I feel about them anyways. Just a stronger 2.0 box of the previous model and thats it. You could still play any game on any PS4 and XBONE and it wont really make much of a difference because its still the same game as it would be on another system like FFXV for example. It still looks the same.   

I don't think they matter as much anymore. Technology has gotten to the point where phones are capable of some impressive visuals, let alone home consoles.

I agree with this. Both Digimon Links and Pokemon Go don't look like mobile games with the high quality models they have. I dont think any mobile game in existence looks half as good as those two games. Not even Final Fantasy Agito looks anything like that.

Kas12

Kas12

I desire no title.. for I am only a man.

• +Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts
  • LocationI am a pilgrim and stranger in a strange land, looking for a city whose builder and maker is God.

Specs might matter as far as gameplay goes. Someday a Warriors game might not have fading in and out dudes on screen. And framerate really should be prioritized over graphics strength, because it affects gameplay. So yeah a lot of things that are wrong with games only marginally have anything to do with specs, and more to do with the developer stressing the processing beyond it's limits and accepting the framedrop for sellability of the visuals. it's sad.. but not deniable that Oblivions mass appeal at first was it's graphic quality. Then it became the openness of the game world. I remember buying Morrowind on the OG XBox simply because of how nice it looked. But I didn't like how it played at all, which became a common thing for me on XBox. I quickly learned not to judge a game on how its graphics looked. Unfortunately a large number of game players don't get this concept, which is why there are still console wars. It's always one consoles graphics vs the others. Because other than that, the only thing the consoles do is run code which gives you no measure to be prideful of. The actual quality of a game comes down to how well the game application objectively runs in conjunction with all its parts. Everything else is opinion, and only matters to the one who owns it.

Driftslave

Driftslave

Mod

• +Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  • LocationRichmond, CA

I understand where your coming from, especially with the Warrior games...pop in's really suck when the newly spawned enemy was off screen where you couldn't see them and hits you out of nowhere. But that is also due to developers being a tad bit too prideful and not adjusting the games overall performance, i.e. optimization. If you know that your engine can only support 20 minions + the player character but your trying to have at least 50 at the sacrifice of frame rate and pop ins, then you have priority issues...but this is a common issue as you said before. They are too busy trying to appeal to the graphics whores.

I think specs matter in moderation, but it should never come down to the point of your choosing a console because one looks better on paper...like with phones and other tech, to me it should be the software that drives you to make your purchase. It's completely up to the developers, 1st or 3rd party to make competent software to appeal to us the consumer. 

I could rant for pages on how Nintendo has pretty god quality control on their 1st party games, and in the same breath comment on questionable game design choices. But the fact of the matter is that they make good software overall to go hand in hand with their hardware, under powered or not. I would be lying if I didn't want to see Nintendo make games with high fidelity visuals as we see on the PS4 or PC. But I also want their games to still be made with that same level of craftsmanship as they did on the Wii and Wii U. 

Soft Cabbage

Soft Cabbage

The Original Soft Cabbage. No sweet sour or BBQ flavor.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationGMT+7

Everything matters. Game design, graphic, sound, coding do matter in games. Graphic feasts your eyes. Sound pleases your ears. Gameplay joys your heart.

Hardware spec matters too in order to carry above. PS4, X1, laptop, custom PC are nothing but a bundle of hardware parts designated to carry different level of what we have in games above.

The people with "PC Master Race" mentality are airheads who take their platform as an entity.

lostinseganet

lostinseganet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

It absolutely still matters. VR still has aways to go.

Scorpious

Scorpious

• +Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,207 posts
I think VR isn't gonna be as fun as people imagine it to be. I've already played VR games and they're a neat distraction but I don't feel that they're gonna be utilized well enough. I just feel that it's gonna be a stupid preferal that dies like 3D gaming quickly did and motion controls quickly did.

stratogustav

stratogustav

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Specs don't matter to me as long as they are good enough to run the games I like smoothly. Graphics also don't matter to me because what matters to me more is cool artstyle over realism, which is what ultimately graphics come down to. Resolution and frame ratio do matter to me because we now have wide 4K TVs and we cannot longer appreciate the image of CRT TVs because we no longer have them. Most classic games are superior when it comes to gameplay and fun than most modern games, however they could benefit from upgrades in frame ratio and resolution. For example many N64 games are absolutely amazing, but the lack of HD and a 16:9 ratio ruins the experience. Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Driftslave

Driftslave

Mod

• +Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  • LocationRichmond, CA

Upscalers  exist, in fact.

This Link should of some use to you. 

I don't really disagree with your points but resolution is something that's always changing thanks to technology always striving to be better. 

Framerate on the other hand is something of a debate. I don't ever think there is a need for fighting games to ever exceed 60fps because then inputs that require 1/60th of a second become almost impossible to do....if you don't know what I mean, look up "Just frame" or "1- Frame Links". 

For other genres, it can become a mess because there are always going to be people who will prefer more frames because it creates a smoother or more realistic experience, on the flipside, 30fps people like because it reminds them of Cinema 24fps. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users