3 replies to this topic

deathofaninja

deathofaninja

Thunder Road

• *Content Creators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts
  • LocationGambler's Paradise

What are your initial impressions pertaining to Nioh? The demo has been out for a while and I would like to add something to the home page with impressions... but seeing as I don't have a PS4 I can't write it out myself...

Scorpious

Scorpious

~The Violent Violet Ninja~

• +Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,207 posts
  • LocationOn a rooftop looking at the moon
  • Twitch:scorpious17
  • XBL GT:Scorpious17
  • PSN ID :Scorpian-17
  • 3DS FC:1547-5203-5546
  • Wii U ID:Scorpian-17
I think the game is fantastic! It takes a page out of Dark Souls for sure but adds its own unique spin on it. There are stances you can take in the game. High, low, and mid which change up the strength and speed of your attacks. Just like Dark Souls, there's a stamina bar that depletes when you do actions such as sprinting, attacking, defending, and dodging. Getting hit also can take some away but we'll talk about that later. The main goal is to reach the end of the level and fight the boss. There are shrines around the level that are similar to the bonfires in Dark Souls. These are where you can level up, make offerings to gain consumables, call someone to assist you if you're having trouble, and changing your spirit animal. (we'll discuss that later as well.) The shrines are also where you'll return when you die, and trust me, you're gonna die.... ALOT! This game doesn't fuck around. It is hard as hell and isn't afraid to let you know that by how ruthless the enemies can be combined with the tactics necessary to kill them which narrows down to just playing carefully most of the time. So killing enemies gives you Amrita (your EXP for this game.) If you die, you lose all of it but have a chance to get it back by going back to the place where you died and picking it back up. Dying again will result in you having to kill more enemies to get back to that amount of XP. So the spirit animals are essentially a temporary elemental power boost where you have a limited time to go wild and use flaming foxes, water sharks, lighting dogs, and wind birds! My personal favorite is the water shark because it's especially effective against Yokai realm creatures. If you've played Ninja Gaiden, these are basically the Fiends of Ni-oh! They are alot tougher than regular enemies and they're stamina bar is alot bigger. Spirit animals make short work of these guys but you still have to play tactfully in order to get the most out of your power boost. What I think is great about the stamina bar is a mechanic known as KI Pulse where after doing a move you see this spark shine on you and if you time the R1 button just right, you can get that stamina you just used back, or at least most of it. This allows you to play a little more aggressively and drop the enemies stamina to be able to perform this games equivalent to the obliteration technique from NG. Once the enemy has his stamina at red, you just strong attack him to kill him quickly or at least knock off a great deal of his health if he's stronger.

So the game is hard as hell but has a learning curve that is satisfying when you figure out the ins and outs of it. Now I don't think the game needs to be toned down but there are some things that need to be adjusted. I think weapons and armor durability needs to be adjusted to be more durable because they tend to break too fast. There are consumables that restore their durability back to normal but I just think they need to be a little stronger. The stamina could use work too. Although Ki pulse is good, I think blocking shouldn't take away stamina, or getting hit. They could fix either or. Other then that, the game just needs some polishing and it'll be great. If it's not your cup of tea then it's not your cup of tea but I certainly enjoy it. Team Ninja still knows how to make games hard as hell but rewarding when you learn how they work. I recommend giving it a shot while you still can if you have a PS4. The demo ends on May 5th so play it while you can!

Soft Cabbage

Soft Cabbage

The Original Soft Cabbage. No sweet sour or BBQ flavor.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationGMT+7

I was excited about it 10 years ago, I downloaded the trailer and kept it in my phone because it looked so cool.

When it was announced to be a demo, I was excited to be playing as a badass samurai. Until I found that it looks like another KT games that I would expect to play during PS2 era. Please take note that I'm not talking about the graphic here; I can't judge it because I haven't got the alpha demo yet.

Yes, I haven't downloaded the demo yet. Why? Because it fails to attract me, let alone to impress.

I'll keep an open mind for this game in case they get better in the future, although when I see KT label around, I really wouldn't expect much.

Scorpious

Scorpious

~The Violent Violet Ninja~

• +Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,207 posts
  • LocationOn a rooftop looking at the moon
  • Twitch:scorpious17
  • XBL GT:Scorpious17
  • PSN ID :Scorpian-17
  • 3DS FC:1547-5203-5546
  • Wii U ID:Scorpian-17
Well the game is mostly developed by Team Ninja so there's a higher seal of quality there already. It's a great game if you're into difficult RPGs like Dark Souls or any Rogue-likes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users