Change
Photo

Nintendo, The Wii U, and Gamers

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Kas12

Kas12

I desire no title.. for I am only a man.

• +Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts
  • LocationI am a pilgrim and stranger in a strange land, looking for a city whose builder and maker is God.

Throughout the current (8th) gaming generation there has been an unnecessary, unfounded, illegitimate disdain for Nintendo's 8th gen gaming console known as the Wii U.  There are a few things that people have come up with to excuse their ignorance of the consoles brilliance and instead cling onto a console that has had very little of any value for the entire time it's been released so far.  

First thing is people say that Nintendo's marketing team is the failure.  They didn't properly inform the 'casuals' that the Wii U is an entirely new gaming console, so they just thought it was a gamepad meant to work with the Wii.  You have to be pretty braindead and unable to perform simple problem solving in order to conclude that a picture of a different console and a gamepad = peripheral for something I already have.  These are the same people who understand that iPhone 6 isn't just an attachment to the iPhone 5.  These are the same people who watch infomercials and decide that they need this NEW upgrade to the same thing I already have. These people aren't this dumb, they are able to see a new version of something when they see it, if that's all it is to them.  Therefore they didn't see the Gamepad, ignore the console on the box, and think "Oh I bet thats a new thingy for my Wii!". Granted, there are a few people who thought they could buy a Wii U game and play it on a Wii.. but those are the same people who thought a CD is a fancy record that you could play on your turntable. Why would you try to market to them in the first place? You wouldn't and Nintendo didn't.

Second thing people will say is that Nintendo is too gimmicky and the gamepad is a clunky, useless piece of plastic with a cheap screen that serves to drive the price of the console package up by about $70 and has a crappy battery life.  And what I have to say to those people is Ayyyyy.  Seriously though, have you ever played with a Dual Shock 4 for over 4 hours?  It's pretty much unanimously agreed that the Lightbar on the DS4 is completely useless and a waste of the battery.  When the PS4 first released, people were reporting the wearing off of the rubber on the DS4 analog sticks.  The trackpad on the DS4 is also useless, what game uses it for anything other than a Start button?  It would have been much simpler to stick a start button on the controller.  Thing is, the track pad was just Sonys answer to the touch screen on the Wii U Gamepad.  And nobody is using it.  The battery life of a DS4 is 4 1/2 hours at the most.  Granted, the Gamepad doesn't do a lot better in this area but at least Nintendo offers a battery that extends the life of the Gamepad by about 3 more hours.  General consensus is that the Gamepad is actually a pretty comfortable, lightweight standard controller with a screen that offers off-TV gameplay, or an extra screen for the developer to utilize to get all the clunky menu stuff off your game screen.  Anybody that has used a Gamepad hasn't mad much bad to say about it.   Those who have not used one, or those who consider themselves traditionalists (but aren't because the DS4 is not a traditional controller, it's only shaped and sized like one) are usually the ones who make up reasons to hate it.

The third thing people will say for why they don't want a Wii U is that the games it offers are too childish or cartoony, or that it doesn't have enough games to warrant buying. The reality of this is that Nintendo tried to address this issue and people kicked against it. Nintendo tried to provide reasons to own a Wii U by offering things that would not be anywhere else.  And people literally went on anti-Nintendo tirades saying that its better that the game didn't even exist than for it to be on a Nintendo console.  This attitude does not incriminate Nintendo at all, it instead incriminates the people who wanted the game that Nintendo funded/paid to have made for them, but told Nintendo that Nintendo is not good enough for them.  This is literally an anti-gamer attitude.  I have no other way to put it.  To want a game, and after its made, tell the one who funded it that you wont buy that game just because it's not on a console made by a company that shares in your egotistical workstation graphics dudebro hardcore superiority complex is ANTI GAMER. You, at that point no longer belong to videogames, you then belong to Sony.  You are the ones Sony was referring to when they said that their fans will buy whatever they put out because Sony feeds your need to retain a masculine/mature image in your gaming persona. You are no better than a girl-gamer. You resort to Sony to retain all of your insecure needs to be manly, to feed your superficiality in feeling mature.

I have been accused by people of being anti-Sony, or that I hate everything that isn't Nintendo.  That is not true, and these people know it.  The fact that I own a Playstation 4 negates those claims.  I don't have to play every game published for PS4 to be accepting of Sony as a videogame provider.

Now with all that said.. the Wii U isn't a trash console and Nintendo isn't some kind of anti-gaming boogeyman company that everyone who takes themselves too seriously needs to run away from to retain an image.  I am a bit frustrated with Nintendo right now because of how ambiguous they're being with their release dates. But nobody is doing well with this right now.  Nintendo makes games.  It's what they do.  It's what they love. It's all they invest in. Those are facts.  Videogames are not a second venture, or a sideshow to support other branches of their global company.  Nintendo = videogames.  And to be anti-Nintendo is to be anti-videogames. Players and developers alike.

Scorpious

Scorpious

~The Violent Violet Ninja~

• +Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,207 posts
  • LocationOn a rooftop looking at the moon
  • Twitch:scorpious17
  • XBL GT:Scorpious17
  • PSN ID :Scorpian-17
  • 3DS FC:1547-5203-5546
  • Wii U ID:Scorpian-17
A message to all gamers.

I say just play the games you want to play and that should be the focus on people's minds. You don't have to feel loyal or defensive of these big name companies. They aren't doing you any favors. At the end of the day, they just want the consumers money and we'll give it to them as long as they make something we like. That's all that matters. Play the games you want and enjoy them~

Project Bokuho

Project Bokuho

Mama Helena's little pet

• +Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts
  • LocationPlano
  • XBL GT:Project Bokuho
  • PSN ID :HelloMrBokiHoki

Who pissed you off today, Kassie? :o

Kas12

Kas12

• +Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts
  • LocationI am a pilgrim and stranger in a strange land, looking for a city whose builder and maker is God.

This has built up over the course of the Wii U's lifetime Bokuho. Nintendo provided a gaming console.  If anyone claims to be a gamer, they'd play Nintendo as well as whatever else.  Especially when Nintendo makes games they wanna play possible.

Shikou

Shikou

Vampire

• *Content Creators
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • LocationArizona U.S.

As long as there is a game I want to play just so happens to be on a system I dont already own then I'll buy said system. Speaking of which..... I still have to get a Japanese Wii-U. My copy of Fatal Frame 5 is collecting dust since April!!! x__x

Soft Cabbage

Soft Cabbage

The Original Soft Cabbage. No sweet sour or BBQ flavor.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationGMT+7

If anyone claims to be a gamer, they'd play Nintendo as well as whatever else.  Especially when Nintendo makes games they wanna play possible.

Inb4 angry PCMasterRace kiddies come and yell at your claim.

A message to all gamers.

I say just play the games you want to play and that should be the focus on people's minds. You don't have to feel loyal or defensive of these big name companies. They aren't doing you any favors. At the end of the day, they just want the consumers money and we'll give it to them as long as they make something we like. That's all that matters. Play the games you want and enjoy them~

Agree. So chill out. 

Fuck loyalty. There's no need for loyalty. What they know is $ and PR's job is to bullshit you with sugar so you think like what they want you think, which is "they care about you". But they actually don't care about you. You're not 'you'. You're just money to them.

deathofaninja

deathofaninja

Thunder Road

• *Content Creators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts
  • LocationGambler's Paradise

Sadly this may be the last year of the Wii U. A lame Fall from Nintendo and a new console on the way. 

I own every great Wii U game and I haven't even played them all. I still have Pikmin 3 on deck. The games for this console are going to be rare in the future... so don't trade any of them in for credit. Even with the year off Nintendo is kind of taking; they are still way ahead of Microsoft and Sony for great first party games. 

Driftslave

Driftslave

Mod

• +Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  • LocationRichmond, CA
  • PSN ID :Therook_jza80

I'll buy Xenoblade X....that's all I can guarantee.... 

UpSideDownGRUNT

UpSideDownGRUNT

Admirer of Hitomi, Boob Fiend.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • PSN ID :UpSideDownGRUNT
Nintendo still has the best exclusives hands down and some aren't even out yet.

PS4 barely has exclusives, its mostly multi platform or "exclusives" that are also on pc.

Xbox One is just as bad, while it has more exclusives than ps4 its still mostly multi play games.

The only thing ir has to offer is Halo, Gears and for 12 months Tomb Raider.

Driftslave

Driftslave

Mod

• +Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  • LocationRichmond, CA
  • PSN ID :Therook_jza80

PS4 has cute anime girls...so it wins. 

On the serious side, it has games coming and if your a fan of Japanese games like me then the PS4 is a obvious choice to gravitate to. 

I know most of you guys don't care about Destiny but I do and it's the best place to play it is on PS4, there is no question in that. That and alot of other FPS's have been moving towards PS4 in terms of timed exclusives or...just exclusives in general. 

I give the Xbone for Scalebound, that shit looks hot. But then Neir, Star Ocean 5, Persona 5, Street Fighter 5, Neptunia Victory-II, Senran Kagura Estival Versus, Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator,  and many other games are coming to PS4 so I have shit to look forward to in the coming year. 

Nintendo's got Xenoblade X for me, and not a whole lot after that on the Wii U besides #FE. 

Shikou

Shikou

Vampire

• *Content Creators
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • LocationArizona U.S.

So far the Wii-U only has for me is...

Fatal Frame 5 (already owned)
Yoshi's Wooly World 
Pokken

Err... anything after that remains a mystery or unless they release another Fatal Frame on the Wii-U. I dont care about Smash cuz I didn't like what they did with Brawl so....

Kas12

Kas12

• +Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

eJJ9vJA.jpg

NIntendos release schedule for 2015.

AR Musha Gundam

AR Musha Gundam

The Legend of the Gundam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationLongview, TX
  • XBL GT:AR Musha Gundam
  • 3DS FC:Ask me.

eJJ9vJA.jpg

NIntendos release schedule for 2015.

Nice.

Don't forget, I been seeing people was talking about Zygarde's new formes from Serebii.net's posts on Facebook and so this is very possible having another Pokemon in Z version. It's more likely they announce that soon next month and hopefully about the date to be release. I been thinking it can be in Spring 2016 or whenever.

Kas12

Kas12

• +Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Star Fox has been delayed into the first quarter of 2016. -______-'

Scorpious

Scorpious

• +Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,207 posts
Yeah it's a sad day indeed. Welp, I guess there's only Yoshi's Whooly World to look forward to this year and maybe Xenoblade, still not sure if I want it at this point.

deathofaninja

deathofaninja

Thunder Road

• *Content Creators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts
  • LocationGambler's Paradise
Nobody here got down to Mario Tennis? Too bad; super fun game.

Scorpious

Scorpious

• +Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,207 posts
Is that coming out this year, Death? I thought it was next year.

Kas12

Kas12

• +Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

http://www.zeldainfo...ease-comparison

A comparison to show the redrawing of the textures for TP HD.  

Kas12

Kas12

• +Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

The game is looking pretty good.

Scorpious

Scorpious

• +Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,207 posts
I'm pretty disappointed in that amiibo bonus. Giving Wolf Link a trial mode is kinda lame. I thought we'd get a new optional dungeon with a new item or something. Oh well, at this point I don't care if I get the one with the amiibo or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users