15 replies to this topic

FNC Savior

FNC Savior

1000 words

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,166 posts
  • LocationChicago
Since we're only 35 days away I'd figure i'd start revamping my tutorials for DOA5. This is very, very basic. Easy to understand info. Of course whatever Team NInja changes I will come back and change to proper info. There will be a video for this when DOA5 comes out. Although it would be nice if I could get a early copy next month and start.

*To learn the number notation directions please look at the num pad on your keyboard as it resembles the D-Pad on your controller. 6 always being forward, 4 being back, and 5 being neutral (press nothing)

In Dead or Alive you have three basic inputs, and four for tag mode.

*Basic attacks

P = Punch = :p
K = Kick = :k
G/F = Guard/Free-cancel = :f or :h

The guard button has several other names, because it’s used for a variety of things. One of those things is “Free canceling”. Free canceling allows you to immediately end a string; it’s useful for moves that have long input delay, or to enhance mix-ups. Another name for the guard button is “Hold” or “counter” which I will cover later.

Combing different buttons will give you a different variety of attacks. For example; combing P+K will give you stronger punch attacks, or F+K stronger kick attacks. Combing P+G will give you a grab. You can go more in-depth on these commands by entering your characters command list in the training mode.

*Movement
In DOA you have your standard movement for any 3D fighter. Holding 6 allows you to walk forward, holding 4 will allow you to walk backwards, tapping 66 twice gives you a dash, tapping 44 – backdash.
Holding down or 2 allows you to free step left. Holding up or 8 allows you to free step right. 33, or down/forward gives you a crouch dash.

*Advanced movement
Consistent :2 :1, :2 :1,~... will give you multiple back dashes; this is known as the Korean backdash. This is good for creating space between you add your opponent, an escape tool to avoid wake up attacks, or used for whiff punishing which is something more advanced I’ll cover later.

:6, :qcf , :6 , :qcf Is known as wavedashing. It is good for covering distance to get in on your opponent, or rushing them down. It's more useful for characters who have moves from while crouching like Eliot's While crouching :3 :p

Sidestepping
In DOA5 you're given different options to sidestep. You can either set it sidestepping as :8_ :2 + :f+p :+ :k or just basic :2 :2_ :8 :8. Sidesteps are vulnerable to throws, and circular/tracking moves. It would be wise to go through your character of interest command list and learn what moves track.s

Holds
Holds/counters can be thought of as reversals. They can be done from neutral standing state, certain stuns that allow you to hold, and very few characters can “Parry” from back turned. DOA5 utilizes the “4 Point hold” system. These holds/counters are fairly weak damaging.

:7 :h – Works against high attacks
:4 :h – Works against mid punches
:1 :h – Works against low attacks
:6 :h – Works against mid kicks.

*Expert holds – Every character in DOA5 will have expert holds. These strictly work only for mid punches, and mid kicks. Harder to land than the normal 4 point holds, but more damaging.

:6 :4 :h – For mid punches
:4 :6 :h – For mid kicks.

*Advanced Holds – Lei Fang and Bayman are the only characters who can utilize “advance holds”. These require the ability to adapt, read, and anticipate your opponent. These are possibly the most damaging holds in the game.

:6 :7 :h – High punches only
:4 :9 :h – High kicks only.
:6 :1 :h – Low punches only.
:4 :3 :h – Low kicks only.

*Parries – Only a selected few in DOA5 will have parries; Lei Fang, Bayman, Eliot, Gen Fu, Kasumi, Hitomi, and Hayabusa (auto teleport parry from Ninpo stance). Parries generally do very little or no damage at all. However they will leave your opponent at a very big dis-advantage long enough to guarantee a follow-up, or in some cases a launcher.

:9 :h – Works against high attacks
:3 :h – Works against mid attacks

*Note. Characters with parries have different properties. Ideally 9H is for highs, and 3H is for mids. However, Hitomi only has the 9H which for her strictly works against high and mid punches, while Hayabusa has an auto mid punch/mid kick parry from his ninpo stance. So be sure to check the properties of your characters parries/holds.

*Offensive Holds – Offensive holds act as throws, and they will beat out/go through regular attacks if timed correctly. In DOA4 every character had at least 2 OH’s. Now in DOA5 OH’s are mainly designed to be used by grapple characters with an additional select few. They are very comparable to catch throws; however the one thing that differs between an Offensive Hold and a catch throw is OH’s can be beaten out by regular throws since they’re still officially holds. The command input for OH’s differs from character to character.

Stuns – Leaves you vulnerable to attacks for a short brief of time depending on how critical the stun is, or which stun was inflicted. While stunned you have two options. You can hold while stunned if you’re anticipating your opponent, or to avoid being launched. However, in my opinion holding while stunned is a very bad idea as it does increases the duration of your of your stun, they’re also very easy to bait in DOA5. Option two you can slow escape to decrease the duration of your stun, and return to neutral state to avoid further damage.

Unholdable stuns – DOA5 has various stuns that do not allow you to hold while stunned, although you can slow escape, but it’s much harder.

- Various sit down stuns
- Limbo stun
- Faint stun
- Stagger stun
- Critical burst (CB)

Water Stuns – Water stuns are possibly the scariest of all stuns. Mid, or low attacks that normally do not stun on dry land will cause a deep trip stun on water stages. It’s best to go through your characters move set on water stages and experiment with property changes. Take advantage of small water puddles, or stages where you’re surrounded by nothing but water. Your entire strategy and mind set can completely change.

Note: Beware of “Ends of the Earth” Antarctica. 100% water stage.

Slow escaping – This technique is used for breaking stuns and setting your character back to neutral state to avoid further damage. This also works if you’re back turn stunned. Hold down the guard button and toggle the left thumbstick in circular motions. The faster you slow escape, the quicker you will be able to break the stun. However, in some cases follow ups will be unavoidable. Lastly, if a critical burst lands, you cannot slow escape. You will be completely vulnerable to the next follow up.

Power Blow. – successfully landed attack with charging properties. They become active at 50% health and can be done once per round. Character enters a short animation where they’re given the option to knock you into any direction, including “danger zones”. These attacks can be avoided by sidestepping, or holding. They're very easy to react to if you see them coming. Blocking a fully charged PB will guard crush and leave you at a huge disadvantage, resulting in a guaranteed follow-up. If your opponent lands a CB power blows are unavoidable. PB’s can be canceled by sidestepping in either direction :8 :8 _ :2 :2

Critical Burst – Critical Burst properties of a move become active when your opponent reaches the stun threshold. The threshold is achieved when a certain amount of critical blow damage is done to your opponent before they fall to the ground. For some characters that is three hits, for others it is four.

Guard breaks – An attack that breaks your opponent’s guard generally leaving them vulnerable to the next attack. An example would be Hayate’s fully charged :6 :6 :p in DOA5.

Guard Crush – More powerful version of the guard break, but leaves your opponent at a very big disadvantage. An example would be a fully charged power blow.

Danger zone’s – Knocking your opponent in danger zones activates environmental damage that inflicts damage on your opponent. This could be electric ropes, cars, electric generators, breakable walls, animals, etc. This enables you to watch your surroundings and use the environment to your advantage.

Cliff Hangers – Very few stages in DOA5 will have cliff hangers. When knocked into these danger zones you hold guard to grab on to the ledge. These short QTE animations give you a 50/50 scenario. If your opponent does an attack you press guard, or punch to block the attack. If they attempt to grab you press grab and you will throw your opponent off you which will result in them talking a small amount of damage.

NightAntilli

NightAntilli

DOAWorld Veteran

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
  • XBL GT:nightantilli
  • 3DS FC:1977-0233-0797
Are sidesteps really :2 :2 / :8 :8 :p :+ :k :+ :f ? I thought it was just :2 / :8 :p :+ :k :+ :f like it was in the alpha demo. Makes more sense even... Why would anyone use double tap plus all buttons when they can just double tap?

Also, instead of calling it 'water stuns', you probably should just call it slippery surface. Ice also counts, so it can be a bit confusing.

Nice job btw.

FNC Savior

FNC Savior

1000 words

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,166 posts
  • LocationChicago

Are sidesteps really :2 :2 / :8 :8 :p :+ :k :+ :f ? I thought it was just :2 / :8 :p :+ :k :+ :f like it was in the alpha demo. Makes more sense even... Why would anyone use double tap plus all buttons when they can just double tap?

Hmm.. I'll have to double check that.

sorwah

sorwah

DOAWorld Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
He's right. It's just a single command. You can either choose to have it set to 22_88 or 2H+P+K_8H+P+K.

FNC Savior

FNC Savior

1000 words

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,166 posts
  • LocationChicago
Fixed!

Madmangamer364

Madmangamer364

DOAWorld Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Kudos to you for this guide, II Hope II! I had actually been looking for something to help me better grasp the terminology and advanced techniques for this game, seeing as how there have been a few times I either read or saw something that I didn't really understand. For this alone, you have my thanks.

It almost feels like I'm going to have to learn the series' system from scratch again in DOA5, considering that my most played game was Ultimate, and between the expanded movesets/properties of characters in subsequent games (and even 3, for that matter), along with what 5 brings to the table that's new, there's really a lot for me to learn and improve on. I'll be sure to get back to this guide once the game is in my hands and have gotten past the 'just playing' phase that's sure to be the case for the first few days or so. lol

I'm hoping that this comment is appropriate, as I really did want to express the importance of this thread to at least one gamer here (and if it's not, I'll be sure to delete it or something). I'll be looking forward to the videos to see more of this stuff in greater detail (although they are probably already available if I look hard enough, lol). Thanks again. *bookmarks*

MastaToken

MastaToken

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCamden, New Jersey
  • XBL GT:DaddyOtaku
  • PSN ID :DaddyOtaku
Thanks for the info. I'm new to the DOA series (as in learning how to play and not just mash buttons) and felt a little confused on how this game actually works. This clears a lot of my confusion, including how holds work.

Sacrilege83

Sacrilege83

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMontreal
  • PSN ID :read: about me
How did I not catcht his topic sooner!? Thank you.

Ajax McJones

Ajax McJones

Dynamo Poker Hustler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationUK
  • XBL GT:Mr McJones
Hey this may have been covered in a another thread but whats the command input for turning your back to the foe?
Im trying to finish training with bayman, gen-fu and sarah and they dont seem to have a way of doing it,

thanks in advance

NightAntilli

NightAntilli

DOAWorld Veteran

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
  • XBL GT:nightantilli
  • 3DS FC:1977-0233-0797
Bayman: :qcb :p or :7 :k
Gen-Fu: :4 :4 :p
Sarah: :4 :4 :p or :4 :4 :k or while stepping forward :f+k (note that her BT stance is not that different from normal and hard to notice)

Ajax McJones

Ajax McJones

Dynamo Poker Hustler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationUK
thank you so much, do you have the commands for all of them or is there some sort of universal command to make them all turn around?

CY MasterHavik

CY MasterHavik

The DJ of oki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • PSN ID :CrazyYoshimitsu
Turn what around Ajax? Also Hope this why me and you are friends.

Ajax McJones

Ajax McJones

Dynamo Poker Hustler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationUK
I just meant the characters, like I know certain moves put you in the back facing position but i was wondering if there was a universal command for everyone.

Also are expert holds covered in the move list or are they just more damaging versions of the normal mid holds?

TK Cross

TK Cross

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • XBL GT:TK Cross
great topic bro! it helped me understand quiet a bit :)

Bogetsu

Bogetsu

DOA Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationMexico
  • XBL GT:bogetsu

Nice Guide Scattered Dreams! 

However, I'd like to know if you have an effective way to escape from throws. I know that pressing T (P+H) repeatedly plus circular moves with the left thumbstick/d-pad when the "Combo Throw" sign flashes but for me, is not longer effective, in DOA5 is very hard to escape from throws.

riizch

riizch

DOAWorld Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationUK
  • XBL GT:Riizch
This guide is awesome. I kind of knew most of the terminology and had a rough idea of its context, but this tied it all together and made it make sense. Bravo, and thank you ever so much.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users